Feb 18, 2009

UFCW Member Attributes Bagging Skills to Ping Pong Prowess

UFCW Local 99 member and Fry's courtesy clerk Francisco Palacios beat out 23 other finalists from California, Washington, Michigan and Alabama in February at the U.S.A. Best Bagger Competition in Las Vegas.

Palacios, who works at Fry’s 137 in Tucson, credits the hand-eye coordination he honed playing table tennis since childhood.

“We’ve always had a ping-pong table in our home,” he says. “I’m the youngest of six children, so I always had to play against my older siblings. That makes you get up to speed pretty fast.”

Palacios says he joined UFCW Local 99 because the union stands by its members.

“My union will always support me if I have a problem on the job,” he says. “That’s what unions are for. The more members we have, the stronger we become.”

No comments: