- What's the sweeping institutional reform on deck for this week? Financial regulatory reform. And not a moment too soon. A new poll shows that 61 percent of Americans favor increased government regulation of the financial industry.
- That's a surprising statistic, but the public outrage against Wall Street is certainly understandable. It's especially understandable considering that the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) just filed suit against Goldman Sachs, the financial industry's golden child, for creating and selling mortgage investments that were designed to fail. In short, for committing securities fraud.
- After reviewing the circumstances surrounding the recent explosion at Upper Big Branch Mine West Virginia, President Obama believes the tragedy, which claimed the lives of 29 miners, was primarily a failure of management, but that poor oversight and weak laws were also at fault. The President has ordered a new round of mine inspections and a far-reaching review of mine safety, including strengthened federal laws and beefed-up investigative powers for the Justice Department.
- Over 1,000 government leaders, worker advocates, educators, and community activists, including UFCW International President Joe Hansen, gathered in Houston last week to discuss the unique workplace safety challenges facing Latinos.
- President Obama has issued an order requiring all hospitals receiving Medicare and Medicaid dollars to grant gay and lesbian partners the same visitation rights that married heterosexual couples get.
- Did you participate in the census? One in three Americans failed to submit their census forms by the official deadline. Are you part of that 1/3? What are you waiting for? It only takes ten minutes to fill out and send in.
- Danny Glover was arrested as he stood in solidarity with workers last week, protesting Sodexo's policy of firing workers who want a union.
- UFCW and JBS were honored with the University of Louisville Labor-Management Center's 17th annual Labor-Management Award for creating a safe and cooperative workplace at JBS's Louisville plant.
Apr 19, 2010
It's Monday morning! Do you know what's going on in the world?
Posted by Leilah at 9:24 AM