Jun 23, 2011

Define American

The new Define American project is asking folks: what does it mean to be an American?

Jose Antonio Vargas, the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist who moved to the U.S. from the Philippines when he was 12, and has been struggling with his undocumented status for almost 14 years. In that time, he has thought a lot about what it means to be an American. From him newly released video:

“I define American as someone who works really hard – someone who’s proud to be in this country, and wants to contribute to it. I’m independent; I pay taxes; I’m self-sufficient. I’m an American. I just don’t have the right papers. I take full responsibility for my actions, and I’m sorry for the laws that I broke.”

Take five minutes, and watch the full video of Jose’s story now. You’ll be glad you did. Then be sure to add your voice to the conversation at http://defineamerican.com/

No comments: