At a time when workers are under attack by big corporations, special interests, and their cronies in government, President Obama has been an unyielding friend to working men and women. He has stayed true to the vision he outlined to the UFCW nearly four years ago. He is the only candidate for President in 2012 that has our interests at heart.
Despite what the opposition is saying, President Obama has taken great leaps and bounds to improve the quality of life for the working class families in our country, taking steps to ensure our right to organize:
- Proposed a new rule that, if adopted, would result in quicker and fairer elections by discouraging unnecessary and time-consuming litigation
- Overruled a 2007 Bush Board decision that interfered with voluntary recognition by requiring employers to post “Dana notices” informing workers they could file a decertification petition during a 45- day period following recognition
- Issued a rule requiring employers to post a notice in their workplaces informing workers of their rights under the National Labor Relations Act
- Issued new opinion letter reversing Bush Administration’s position that workers in union plants may be denied pay for putting on/removing their safety equipment and issued favorable opinion expanding definition of compensable work day in union plants
- Launched a misclassification initiative in which DOL joined with IRS to improve both agencies’ ability to investigate and prosecute employers that misclassify employees as independent contractors
It's time for President Obama's critics to look at the facts. The President has served as a continuous ally for the working families of America by looking out for their well-being, striving to make sure our country's middle class can succeed. To read more about what President Obama has done for to the middle class, and what we must do to make sure he has four more years in office to finish his work, check out VoteUFCW.org.